Serves 6-8 (makes about 2 quarts of soup)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2″ knob of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
2″ piece of fresh turmeric, peeled & chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 quart chicken or veg broth
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
1. Heat coconut oil in a medium sized stock pot. Add onion and saute, on medium high heat, until translucent.
2. Add garlic, ginger and turmeric. Saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add butternut squash and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the squash is falling apart.
4. Remove soup from heat and let cool. Transfer soup to blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot).
5. Stir in the coconut milk and season to taste with salt.
6. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro and pumpkin seeds. And an extra drizzle of coconut milk for more creaminess if desired.
If you can’t hit the beach to soak up the negative ions, then bring the negative ions into your home!
Certain natural environments, like mountains and beachs, contain an abundance of negative ions. When we breathe in these negative ions and they enter our blood stream they produce biochemical reactions that are said to help relieve stress, increase serotonin production (the “feel good” hormone), boost the immune system, clean the lungs and neutralize free radicals. They also help purify the air of allergens, germs and dust.
Himalayan Salt Lamps are a convenient way of bringing these health benefits into your home as the salt particles contain negative ions. And I am particularly loving these miniature plug-ins right now. Not only do they double as night lights, but they give off the most enchanting glow.
Whether you are just in town for a visit, newly relocated, or have been here for years, it’s always good to know where the natural food & wellness markets are. So here ya go:
For Goodness Sake (locally owned)
118 Bonita Beach Road
The Fresh Market
27251 Bay Landing Drive
Summer Day Market & Cafe (locally owned)
1069 N Collier Blvd
Food & Thought (locally owned)
2132 Tamiami Trail North
3815 Tamiami Trail E
6424 Naples Blvd, Suite 601
Oakes Farms Market (locally owned)
2205 Davis Blvd
Oakes Farms Market- Seed to Table (locally owned)
4835 Immokalee Rd
Nature’s Garden (locally owned)
2089 Tamiami Trail North
Sprouts Farmers Market
2224 Logan Blvd
The Fresh Market
4121 Tamiami Trail N
12628 Tamiami Trail E
10600 Tamiami Trail N
Whole Foods Market
9101 Strada Place